Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Why are Kitchen Scales so darn Expensive?

I actually made some progress today! I shot a roll of b/w film in the Leica (took a bunch of pictures around the house seeing as how the weather was pretty blah today) and plan to have it developed tomorrow. If all goes well with that test roll, and the camera is still functioning properly after 40 years, the next roll will be one that gets developed in Caffenol!

Speaking of which, I broke down and ordered the vitamin C crystals and a kitchen scale for measuring everything this afternoon on Amazon.com. I was hoping to keep most of my purchases local for the project but I've had a tough time finding some of the things I need for a reasonable price. Kitchen scales were $30 at Target, while the model I purchased on Amazon was a measly $9. I also couldn't find vitamin C in any other form than pill or capsule at the few places I looked. Since I need the vitamin C to completely dissolve into the developer, powder/crystals are the only way to go. Thankfully I did find the final ingredient, washing soda, at an Ace Hardware store on the far northern end of Santa Rosa. Seeing as how it's on the way to my favorite used bookstore, I figure I'll just hit both spots in one trip this week.

So the Caffenol developer portion of my project finally seems to be moving in the right direction. I'm hopeful the weather will clear up tomorrow or Thursday so that I can shoot a quick roll of film. As soon as the vitamin C and scale show up I'm going to whip up my first batch of Caffenol and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment